Ibiza Club News Radio has been bubbling around in the background for quite a few weeks now. Testing, plotting, dancing to ourselves, preparing for a long winter of great music leading into hopefully the return of summer in 2021. As we celebrate our official launch, it’s time to get to know the residents. This time around, we chat to Joe Hawes…
Hey! Nice to meet you. What’s your name?
What made you want to be a DJ?
I have always bene into music since a young age. I was taking drum lessons from 11 years old. However most of my teenage years was all about being a musican. It was until I was 17 when my brother took me into a club he was working at (Sorry mum for breaking the law!) and introduced me to the DJ there as he knew him. I spent the whole night in the DJ booth with him, which felt amazing considering I was only 17. Anyway I got on well with the DJ and he offered to train me up every weekend in the club! So from there on I spent every weekend in this club learning how to DJ!
What are your top 5 tunes EVER? We’ll be secretly judging you, so they better be good.
This is very tough! Its quite a mix of Genres too.
1) Robert miles – Children. This is nearly always the first track that comes to mind. Jst something about the melody that caught onto me as soon as I heard it. Its still a HUGE tune now to throw in your sets.
2) Moby – Natural Blues. Foe me this is one of best songs to chill out to! Its so relaxing, unique and just all round amazing, I will never get tired of this one.
3) Delerium – Silence (Tiesto’s in Search Of Sunrise Remix) This is maybe one the first massive club tracks I fell in love with. The 2nd break down is increedibly powerful and still to this day gives me goosebumps!
4) Sum41 – Pieces. See I told you its a good mix of genres! This song has more of a personal attachment to it. It was one of those songs that when I was younger I listened to over and over when I was feeling down, it help me a lot when I was a teenager!
5) Modjo – Lady. Now this is an absolute CLASSIC! Whats not to love. My favourite house track of all time for sure! very catchy and a great feel good track!
Whats your favourite club and why?
Ushuaia for me hands down. Something about this venue for me is just amazing. Always a feel good vibe at that place no matter what night. I really don’t think I need to sell this place to anyone, Im sure the majority will agree!
Tell us your favourite thing about being a DJ?
Crowd reaction! It’s always the crowd reaction for me. like seriously who likes DJ’ing to a dead crowd? When you see a crowd loving life, you know you’re a huge reason why that is. As a DJ you have so much influence on there mood is crazy and most people don’t even realise. I mean if I rocked up to Fabric on a DnB night and started playing Bon Jovi, Im pretty sure it would change the Vibe and not in a good way!
What advice have you been given in life that you found useful?
Those who say they can and those who say they can’t are both usually right.
This sentence has always stuck with me. Let’s be honest when you say you can’t, that means you have already given up. It’s hard to come back from that. Positive mental attitude is everything for me!
Lockdowns have been awful for dance music, if you had to make a bet – how do you see 2021 playing out?
In all honestly I don’t think it will be back to normal. 2021 in my eyes is going to be a stepping stone. I think 2022 is when festivals and clubs will be back 100% like they were before. Don’t get me wrong I think 2021 will certainly have a whole lot more to offer than this year has had. But I really don’t see life going back to how it was by then.
Where is the best place for people to check out your music?
Tell us about this months mix?
I always like to build my mixes in a way where it gets heavier all the way through. Usually I’ll start on some House or Future House, then build up until I get toi the bass face dirty Bass House Stuff. I always like to try and make these shows unique by using mash ups and bootlegs where possible. The who Coffee House brand is now based around Mash Ups and edits. If you check out our Youtube channel you will see what I mean!
I also like to support other DJ’s as much as possible so a lot of the edits you hear in this show are tracks Ive had sent to me!
One new addition to the show is the Golden Oldie! I thought it would be a great idea to showcase a classic at the end of each show. you know one of those songs where you listen to it and think, fuck me, that is a BANGER!